Friday, July 8th
So here’s some more little nuglets (patent pending) of knowledge I’ve obtained, but haven’t really fit into some of my stories thus far; as well as some mini-stories I’ve been meaning to jot down.
After listening in on a slam poetry reading (totally understood exactly what was going on too. I mean…if catching a random word every other line counts as totally understanding something), the Russian respect for literature and history became more than apparent. Everyone, no matter how young, uncultured, disenchanted, or uninterested…everyone respects artists. Most metro stations are named after famous writers, architects, musicians, etc. Even without studying their work, people know who Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Evtushenko, Tolstoy, etc. are, what they wrote, what they had to say, and what they added to Russian society. But it’s not just artists. Every important historical figure demands a certain amount of respect. For example, I pass a small monument to Lenin every morning on my way to the metro, and before I get to school, I pass another one dedicated to the founder of the KGB. No, that doesn’t mean that all Russians love Lenin or the KGB, they just realize that they were immensely important in their country’s history, and are therefore worthy of remembering.
So, if I can switch gears from Russian respect to sketchiness…I have now had two borderline scary experiences on the metro. I take it at least twice a day, many times by myself, and that’s fine. However, one still needs to be aware that things like this happen…remember my supposed brag post about how Russian men are all up in my business? It can turn from mildly amusing to really creepy/borderline frightening very quickly.
One time, while going down the escalator, a man walked down adjacent to me and started trying to engage. I kept my headphones in, glared, and kept looking forward. Pretty standard “not interested” technique. However, he proceeded to rub against me, pressing me against the side of the escalator. I then pulled my headphones out and growled as menacingly as I could “отстат от меня (get away from me)!” He grinned and ran down the escalator, where he was waiting for me. I walked briskly past, resisting the urge to smack him with my bag, and he followed, still rubbing up against me. When I entered the train, he let me be, going back up the escalator to, I can only assume, harass another woman. Today, while in a particularly crowded train, someone behind me lifted my skirt and proceeded to grope me. I swung around, and whoever it was dropped their hand. I still have no idea who it was, and I’ve been pretty shaken by the ordeal for most of the day. But, please, don’t worry too much about me. I’m a big girl, and there are plenty of people in the city whom I can call if another situation like that arises. I also avoid walking alone at night like the plague, so I’m keeping myself as safe as I can possibly be.
I think my point is, Russia’s a lot different than I expected, but in a lot of ways it’s exactly what /b/ and reddit have to say about it. Like children riding their bikes with toy AK-47s hanging out of their backpacks…people sleeping in cars that are missing doors or tires…graffiti on absolutely every surface…etc.
Which brings me to the drinking culture. Drinking is huge here. Huge. Yes, alcoholism is a serious problem, but I’m not talking about that. Compared to our planned, mandatory excursions, I definitely feel that our nights out on the town are more valuable, more genuine cultural experiences. By losing their inhibitions and sharing common ground through a beer or a shot of vodka, the normally unfriendly Russians let their guard down and willingly engage with us Americans. It’s how we’ve met most of our Russian friends, and engaging in the night life is highly encouraged by our coordinators, who’ve joined us more times than not. Yes, it may sound at times like I’m just partying my ass off…but that’s only partially true. I find interacting with the culture in its most basic, everyday form much more rewarding and telling than taking a tour of a palace, during which no Russian in their right mind will engage with the gaggle of American students.
Anyways. I think that’s all I can think of for now…except for a big thank you for reading this. I’m really flattered that you find what I have to say so interesting…I don’t think I would. :)
speaking of what that one website and reddit have to say about russia
ReplyDeletehttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_akLHpeO7qyA/TAN99Qc7YuI/AAAAAAAABQw/5N0OgL0sE_A/s1600/rpgag8.jpg
Sounders beat LA Galaxy 3-1 in qrt finals of US Open Cup.
ReplyDeleteOff to sleep, wisdom teeth pain pills kicking in.
You're more interesting than you think.
ReplyDelete